I think it was something I read

“Hot and overcast. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me.”  Tim Krabbe

 Why do I want to race?  I think it was something I read.  Several years ago I picked up a copy of Tim Krabbe's 'The Rider' and it made me want to ride again...actually, I wanted to race again, but this time for real.  What is the best way to get started?...duh, buy a bike and start riding...

fast forward seven  years...

2009 I logged over 3,000 miles on the bike...rode more centuries then I can remember but all recreational rides...they were fun, but something was still missing...

I want to race…I am tired of being a non-racer.  I was almost a racer...over twenty years ago I rode in a couple of races in Prospect Park with some buddies...it was fun, I think...I may be getting old, but I am in decent shape...i can ride faster now then I could back then...so why not?

…I have been riding bikes almost as long as I can walk…from pretend motorcycle bike riding, to epic rides through the Gunks in New York, I have always loved bicycles.  I have ridden for pleasure, for commuting, to get away, I even spent a summer working as a NYC bike messenger, but never raced against a bunch of people...well what I really mean is that I never raced against someone who actually knew I was racing them….Why haven’t I?  What have I been waiting for...Too many excuses…until now.  Now that I am 44 I figure if I really want to do this, this could be the last opportunity to try …so you know what?  I am going to do it.